Alright, you got me. I meant to post this yesterday, but I recently read that my family name could mean “a lazy man”, and decided to give it a go. Unfortunately, living up to my family name turned out to be quite unproductive, so here we are with the week’s round-up.
The big news this week is that Wizards of the Coast has laid off several staff, including such big names as Dave Noonan, Jonathan Tweet, and Randy Buehler. Reasons for the layoffs include frustration over Gleemax and D&D Insider failing to meet targets, clearing out monetary liabilities before the end of Hasbro’s financial year, and dilbertesque budget cuts. Several bloggers including industry insiders have voiced their disapproval:
- Chris Pramas: RPG Musings
- Darrin Drader: Regarding the WotC Layoffs
- The Core Mechanic: Does firing people make you a better manager? Hasbro CEO is 2008 CEO of the Year
- Sean K Reynolds: More WotC layoffs
- Eric Haddock: Julia included in WotC layoffs
- Jason Bulmahn: Wotc Layoffs
- Erik Mona: Must Be December: WotC Layoffs
- JD Wiker: … Sigh.
- James Jacobs: WotC Layoffs
In other news:
- LivingDice.com: Gen Con Acquisition Group Revealed
Products & Reviews
- RetroRoleplaying: OSIRIC 2.0 is out - get your free copy now
- Incredible Vehicle: Martial Power first impressions
- DND Corner: D&D Draconomicon 4th Edition
- Dungeon Mastering: Let’s Get it On! An Ass-Kicking Review of â€˜Martial Power’
Fourth Edition Material
- Encounter-A-Day: Friends & Foes: The Blackguard
- Dice Monkey: Guns Don’t Kill Peopleâ€¦DnD 4th Edition Players Without Rules For Guns Kill People!
- Greywulf’s Lair: Zombie templates for 4e
- The Core Mechanic: The Skill Challenges of War in 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons (Part 1)
- RPG Blog II: The Order of the d30
- RPG Centric: How to get ready for the session
- Critical Hits: When in doubt, have them grow wings
- Dice Monkey: What would YOU do with no dice?
- Gnome Stew: Player Buy-In Trumps GM Interest
- Philosophy of Games: How To Deal With Players When They Miss Clues Or Don’t Infer What You Thought They Would
- Alex Schroeder: DM Attitude Causes Powergaming
- Mike Mearls: I Like Dwarves
- Chatty DM: Mutants and Mastermind: Hacking it so I can play it
Playing the Game
- Roleplaying Tips: Roleplaying Tips Issue #426
- Stupid Ranger: Roleplay better by being personally accountable
- DND Corner: Picking the Perfect Dungeons and Dragons Name
- RPG Blog II: Moving Past Gamer ADD
- RoleplayingPro: Common Roleplaying Mistakes That Players Make
- Philosophy of Games: Wushu overview/review
And the Rest
- Dungeon Mastering: 10 Reasons to be Thankful for D&D
- Critical Hits: Contest: Give the Gift of D&D
- Dungeon Mastering: Dungeon Mastering Fall giveaways - 1 prize left!
- The RPG Corner: Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy in Three Minutes
- Dungeon Mastering: Top 5 Things to Miss About D&D 2nd Edition
- The Book of Rev: Seinfeld + D&D = Win
- Jeff’s Gameblog: Sometimes a chart can be helpful (updated chart)
- Gnome Stew: Rusty Links
- Jeff’s Gameblog: The Diceman Cometh, on Lou Zocchi’s dice from last week
Looking at this makes me realize what a busy, busy week it was.
Wow! double bump! thank you!
Thanks for the links.
Comments for this article are closed.