Here’s what’s hot this week in the the D&D “blogosphere”.News
- RPG Pundit: D&D Fails in Germany? The publisher of 4th edition’s German translation cancels the core books; doomsayers out in full force
- Critical Hits: And also also, the un-end of the D&D Miniatures Game. After cancelling the D&D Miniatures Game, Wizards of the Coast is to hand it over to a volunteer group to support existing players
- Living Dice: Gen Con Purchase Offer Rejected
- Living Dice: GenCon Update: Make-A-Wish Foundation debt may resolve this week. This comes after Gencon declared bankruptcy not so long ago, owing debts including $150,000 to the Make-A-Wish foundation.
- Sign of the Druid: 4E Warcraft Races #1
- Newbie DM: Minions… Broken? Is one-quarter XP too much?
- The Core Mechanic: Ereshkigal’s Hatchet, a 4E weapon and adventure hook
A hot topic this week is non-traditional roleplaying - letting your players take narrative control, or abandoning combat rules entirely.
- Gnome Stew on: Player Narrative
- RPGCentric: Do we really need rules to roleplay?
- DND Corner: Becoming a Diceless DM
Three DMs this week are trialling an online D&D Java app called Gametable:
- By Decree of the Czar: Gametable Tutorial: How to Host a Game
- Greywulf: Trying Out Gametable
- Chatty DM: Chatty’s D&D Online Game: Trial game report
Morality is also a topic this week:
- Netherworld Stories: Beyond Alignment: Adding Moral Complexity to Your Game
- 6d6 Fireball: Evil in D&D
And as ever, discussion of age-old Dungeon Master problems:
- Dungeon Mastering: How to get rid of DM guilt once and for all
- Chatty DM: Chatty’s Question: Rekindling the Flame DM burnout
- Greyhawk Grognard: Water, water, everywhere, on handling water in dungeons
- Paizo: RPG Superstarâ„¢ 2009 Scours the Globe to Find New Design Talent. The contest is open to anyone who hasn’t had a cover credit on an RPG book. Round one is to create a third edition compatible magic item.
- Living Dice: Game Design and Self-Publishing— Resources for Aspiring Game Designers
- Living Dice: Interview: Byron Collins of Collins Epic Wargames, Publisher of Frontline General
- Mearls examines the 1E Monk
- Roleplaying Tips: Issue 425
- 6d6 Fireball: 5 Roleplaying Tips
- The Life and Times of a Phillipine Gamer: The ’80s taught me how to play
- Chatty DM: Bedtime Campaign: The Sword of Dreams, Part 1. Another great story from a father who by all measures is raising a great future Dungeon master.
- RPG Blog II: Is D&D a product of the midwest?
- RPG Blog II: Organizing RPG PDFs
- Tankards and Broadswords: Reclaiming the Blade, on swordplay in the movies
- Gnome Stew: The Blackest of Fridays. Where to get RPG discounts this season
- Jeff Rients: Dungeons & Dawn Patrol
- RPGPundit: Amber: The Game Storygamers Love to Hate
- Finally, “By Decree of the Czar” asks: Do you have any humorous house rules?